Saturday 9 August 2008

Living a Prayer - Driven Life

I was really challenged by an article i read by Valerie Lowe on her blog today: Front Online in which she extolled her mothers undying passion for prayer. In her words she had written: "My mom turned 70 years old the other day. I don't know what images come to your mind when you think of a person in her 70s, but if you think of someone who is frail, slow moving and wrinkled as a Chinese shar-pei puppy, think again.

My mom works out at the local YMCA and scurries after her great-grandson, Wesley Adam, when she baby-sits him. Her skin is as smooth as a porcelain doll. Sure, she has one or two age lines, but she's been married to the same man for 50 years and has raised her eight children to love God.

But if my mother were writing this blog, she would tell you that the secret to looking and feeling great can't be found in some age-defying beauty cream. She would tell you to pray—all day!

My mother constantly prays. It doesn't matter if she's at the mall or at a cheerleading competition with her granddaughter, she prays. No, she doesn't make a spectacle of herself; she describes her prayer life as an internal, ongoing conversation with God.

When I was a young child, I would poke my head up during family prayer wondering when it would end because I wanted to go play. But as a Christian, I now understand my mother's motivation to pray. She's developed the discipline, commitment and devotion to God to do it.

As believers we have a spiritual mandate to pray and not let up. The Bible tells us in 1 Thess. 5:17 to "pray without ceasing" (NKJV), but we hesitate to follow this mandate because we want to see immediate results. When I hear people talk about how difficult it is for them to pray, it makes me think they would rather endure the pain of a root canal than slip to their knees. But it doesn't have to be that way.

Just start talking to God wherever you are. Ask Him to speak to you. Tell Him to use you for His glory. Find out what He wants you to pray about. Tell Him how much you love Him, and then worship Him. Before you know it, you'll look forward to your conversations with the Father.

But don't put Him off any longer. Start praying right away".

Honestly, I am tremendously challenged by this testimony and God-willing, from today, i am committing myself to this goal: to make prayer a lifestyle! God and the host of heaven would make this possible in my life and in the life of every partner/member of BSITG! in Jesus mighty name.

Would you, dear reader, consider making this pledge too?


0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online